Comcare aims for excellence in its governance to promote public trust and confidence. Comcare’s governance arrangements include both internal and external forums. The internal forums assist our leaders to:
- establish the authorising environment and influence policy and legislative reform
- identify issues requiring a regulatory response
- deliver services aimed at protecting and supporting employees and responding to work health and safety incidents.
Comcare hosts a number of external consultation forums and participates in a range of external meetings to provide expert advice or gain insight and perspective. We also report on our programmes and service delivery.
Comcare’s governance framework ensures we conform to legal requirements, deliver on our statutory charters and meet community expectations.
Comcare has adopted the governance principles and better practices recommended by the Australian National Audit Office (ANAO). The key principles include:
- accountability—answering for decisions by having meaningful mechanisms that ensure our standards are adhered to
- transparency and openness—having defined roles and responsibilities with clear procedures for decision making and the use of power
- integrity—acting impartially, ethically and in the interests of the agency, and not misusing information acquired through a position of trust
- stewardship—using every opportunity to enhance the value of public assets and institutions that have been entrusted to our care
- efficiency—using resources appropriately to further the aims of the organisation with a commitment to evidence based strategies for improvement
- leadership—achieving an agency wide commitment to good governance through leadership from the top.