Searchshow menu

Our new website is coming soon. Try the Comcare Beta site and tell us about your experience.

Asbestos Removal Work Licensing

A person conducting a business or undertaking (PCBU) that has commissioned the removal of asbestos must ensure that the asbestos removal work is carried out by a licensed asbestos removalist.

The Work Health and Safety Regulations 2011 (WHS Regulations) recognises two classifications of asbestos removal licences:

  1. Class A – A person must hold a Class A asbestos removal licence for the removal of friable asbestos or asbestos contaminated dust or debris (ACD).
  2. Class B – A person must hold a Class B asbestos removal licence if the person is required to remove more than 10 square metres of non-friable asbestos, asbestos containing material (ACM) or ACD.

Who may apply for a licence?

Comcare will only issue an asbestos removal licence to a person conducting a business or undertaking (PCBU) that falls within the Commonwealth jurisdiction. PCBU’s that are not regulated by Comcare should refer to their relevant State or Territory WHS Regulator for further information on obtaining a licence.

How to apply for a licence?

To apply for a Class A or Class B asbestos removal work licence:

Additional resources

Comcare has developed guidance material to assist PCBUs in understanding their responsibilities in regard to asbestos removal licensing.

Additionally, Part 8 of the WHS Regulations outlines the provisions for the licensing of asbestos removal work.

PCBU’s undertaking asbestos removal work may also wish to familiarise themselves with the relevant Codes of Practice for asbestos:

Need more help?

For further information on the asbestos removal work licensing process, please contact the Authorisations Team at Comcare on 1300 366 979 or by email at

Page last updated: 17 Feb 2020