Use space to open navigation items

Risk notifications

For: Employers and managers Information seekers

There are a range of situations and circumstances when Comcare must be notified. These situations involve demolition, hazardous chemicals, lead risk, annual plant maintenance and asbestos.

Hazardous chemicals notification


A ‘person conducting a business or undertaking’ (PCBU), who is usually the employer, must notify Comcare when:

  • hazardous chemicals listed in schedule 11 which are to be used, handled or stored at the workplace exceed the manifest quantity
  • there will be a significant change in the risk associated with the use, handling or storage of the schedule 11 hazardous chemical
  • schedule 11 hazardous chemicals exceeding the manifest quantity cease to be used, handled or stored at the workplace
  • an underground, partially underground or fully mounded tank that was used to store flammable gases or flammable liquids is abandoned
  • a pipeline used to transfer schedule 11 hazardous chemicals crosses into a public place.

Major hazard facilities are sites that store, handle and process large quantities of hazardous chemicals and dangerous goods.

See Major hazard facilities for notification quantities and other requirements for major hazard facilities.

How to notify

To notify us about hazardous chemicals at your workplace, submit:

See Responding to an incident if your workplace experiences a chemical spill or incident and you need to notify us.

More information

For more information, see:

Lead risk notification


A ‘person conducting a business or undertaking’ (PCBU) must notify Comcare:

  • if lead risk work is carried out at their workplace
  • by an emergency service organisation if its emergency service worker, when rescuing or providing first aid to a person, carried out lead risk work.

A PCBU must provide written notice to Comcare within seven days of determining that the work is lead risk work.

How to notify

To notify us of your lead risk work, submit the Lead Risk Work Notification form (PDF, 163.6 KB). This form contains more information about the application process.

More information

For more information, see:

Annual plant maintenance notification


Some plant design and items of plant must be registered under the Work Health and Safety Regulations 2011.

A condition of all plant registrations is that you must provide Comcare with details of the maintenance, inspection and, if necessary, testing of that item of plant annually.

How to notify

Submit the Scheduled Maintenance of Plant Notification form (PDF, 119.7 KB) to advise us that annual maintenance has been carried out in accordance with the conditions of registration.

Demolition notification


A ‘person conducting a business or undertaking’ (PCBU) must notify Comcare if they plan to carry out specific demolition work:

  • demolition of a structure, or part of a structure, that is
    • a) load bearing or otherwise related to the physical integrity of the structure, and
    • b) at least six metres in height
  • demolition work involving load shifting machinery on a suspended floor
  • demolition work involving explosives.

Written notice must be given to Comcare at least five days before the work begins, under the Work Health and Safety Regulations 2011.

An emergency service organisation must also notify Comcare as soon as practicable of this demolition work, carried out or proposed to be carried out, in response to an emergency.

How to notify

Submit the Demolition Works Notification form (PDF, 155.2 KB) to advise us of demolition work.

Asbestos notifications

Certain duty holders must notify Comcare when:

  • asbestos removal work will be carried out
  • there are elevated asbestos fibre levels, or
  • emergency demolition of structures containing asbestos is required.

See Asbestos notifications for information on when and how to notify Comcare.

Incident notification

An incident is notifiable if it results from the conduct of a business or undertaking, and causes:

  • the death of a person
  • serious injury or serious illness of a person
  • a dangerous incident.

See more information about notifying and responding to an incident.

Page last reviewed: 21 January 2021
Get updates from us
Subscribe to Comcare eNews to receive information from the national work health and safety authority.

GPO Box 9905, Canberra, ACT 2601
1300 366 979 |

Date printed 03 Aug 2021