Generally, workers in a call centre:
- Handle significant volumes of inbound and outbound phone traffic and/or electronic requests.
- Are trained and skilled in customer service.
- Use workstations with single or multiple computer screens.
- Are equipped with a computer, telephone (usually with headset) and supplementary task-related documentation.
- Commonly have little task variation, limited autonomy, and tight performance targets to meet.
Call centre workers face similar ergonomic and office based hazards as displayed in the virtual office, however may be at a higher risk of experiencing a workplace musculoskeletal disorder.