Searchshow menu

On 11 April 2019 the Australian Government assumed a caretaker role, with an election to be held 18 May 2019.
Information on websites maintained by Comcare will be published in accordance with the Guidance on Caretaker Conventions until after the election and conclusion of the caretaker period.

Dispute Resolution Service

Comcare provides a number of alternative pathways for Employees and Employers to resolve claim related disputes. These pathways include participating in In-house Facilitation, seeking an internal reconsideration of a determination and seeking redress by way of the Feedback team.

What options do I have if I disagree with a determination?

If you disagree with a determination you may either request to attend In-house Facilitation to discuss the resolution of your concerns or request a reconsideration of the determination by Comcare’s independent reconsiderations team.

In-house Facilitation

Comcare may offer In-house Facilitation for an employee and employer, who may be aggrieved following a determination or reviewable decision (a reconsideration) being made on a claim within the provisions of the SRC Act 1988. You have the option of attending this free alternative dispute resolution service with a qualified mediator if you reside in either Canberra or Melbourne.

In-house Facilitation is an assisted conversation between parties in dispute that encourages parties to reach a negotiated agreement. In-house Facilitation aims to provide access to a timely, accessible and effective dispute resolution process. For more information on In-house Facilitation click here.


Comcare's Disputed Claims team independently reviews certain determinations for employees and employers. A Request for reconsideration must be made within 30 days of receiving the determination. For more information on Reconsiderations click here.

What options do I have if I disagree with a reviewable decision made by Comcare?

If you disagree with the reviewable decision issued by Comcare you may either appeal directly to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT) or you may request to attend Comcare’s In-house Facilitation. An appeal to the AAT must be made within 60 days of receiving the reviewable decision.
For more information on appealing to the AAT click here.

Alternately, if you have not participated in In-house Facilitation, you may request to participate in a facilitated conversation at this stage.

For more information on In-house Facilitation click here.

Contacting the Disputed Claims Team

You can contact Comcare's Disputed Claims in the following ways:

Phone: 1300 366 979

In-house Facilitation
Phone: 1300 366 979

Phone: 02 6160 3985

Can I provide my feedback?

If you would like to provide feedback on your experience with Disputed Claims, please feel free to contact to a Senior Review Officer or the Assistant Director of Disputed Claims. Alternately, you can email

Page last updated: 28 Jun 2017