Access to our Brisbane, Canberra and Melbourne offices is currently restricted. To visit us at these locations, call 1300 366 979 to arrange an appointment.

Household service providers

For: Service providers Information seekers

Information for people who provide household services to employees who have an accepted claim under the Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1988 (SRC Act).

Types of household services

Household services are basic services of a domestic nature that are required for the proper running and maintenance of your household.

Household services may include:

  • cooking
  • assistance with grocery shopping (if home delivery is not available)
  • house cleaning
  • laundry duties
  • gardening assistance, which may also include gutter cleaning
  • childcare.

Compensation is not payable for household maintenance and repairs such as:

  • painting and decorating (exterior and interior)
  • washing, servicing, repairing or maintaining family vehicles
  • repairing fences, doors, and windows
  • plumbing, and
  • electrical repairs.

Comcare’s goal for household services is to help the employee return to work and health while maximising their independence.

If you are an employee, see household services to find out how to apply for services.

Standards for service providers

We strongly recommend that household service providers are certified by the Australian Community Industry Alliance (ACIA).

ACIA is the national peak body that certifies community service providers operating in Australia to the industry standard.

By choosing a provider that is certified by ACIA, the employee and Comcare can be confident that the household service provider delivers high quality, individualised services.

For more information see Standards for Comcare service providers.

Process of engaging household services

Step 1: Employee applies

An employee who has an accepted claim for compensation under the legislation applies for household services.

Step 2: Assessment

A claims manager may arrange an assessment by a suitably qualified professional, usually an occupational therapist, to help determine if and what services the employee needs.

Claims managers of government agency and statutory authority employees use the following template:

Claims managers of self-insured licensee employees may use their own template.

See more information on eligibility for household services.

Step 3: Determination issued

If approved, the claim manager issues a determination for household services to the employee in writing. The determination shows the level of services that have been approved and the length of time.

Step 4: Employee engages a provider

The employee is responsible for engaging the services of a household service provider. You can ask the employee to view the determination letter, if you want to check the level of services that the claims manager has approved.

Step 5: Services are reviewed

Claims managers regularly review the services which are approved to ensure the:

  • employee is receiving an appropriate level of service
  • type of assistance being provided meets the employee’s needs.

We expect the type and frequency of household services an employee requires to reduce as they recover and adapt.

Payment for services

Rates of payment

Payment for household services depends on the assessment of services required and is subject to a maximum weekly limit. This limit is updated on 1 July each year.

See the current rates of payment for household services.

Where an employee’s compensable condition is a ‘catastrophic injury’, and they are receiving household services for their compensable condition, the maximum weekly limit for services does not apply.

Household services are not payable, under legislation, within the first 28 days from the date of injury or illness, unless the employee can demonstrate financial hardship. Should you provide services to an employee during this period, you will need to discuss payment with the employee.

Childcare costs

Claims managers in the Comcare scheme can authorise payment for childcare where an employee is unable to care for their children as a result of their compensable condition.

This is only payable where we can establish that they didn’t pay for childcare before their injury or their childcare costs have increased as a direct result of their work-related condition.

Where a claim for childcare services is reasonably required, Comcare prefers the use of a qualified childcare worker to support optimal care.

How providers are paid

There are two ways you can be paid:

  1. through the claims manager (preferred method), or
  2. by the employee.

Through the claims manager

If the employee’s claim is managed by Comcare, you can submit their relevant household services invoices for payment in three ways:

If you submit your invoices to Comcare digitally through Tyro Health, payment is usually next business day for approved invoices.

If you submit your invoices to Comcare by email or post, processing and payment will take longer.

Remember, only submit invoices to Comcare after services have been provided.

For more information on what to include on your invoice, and whether to apply the Goods and Services Tax, see Invoicing and Payment.

If the employee’s claim is managed by a self-insured licensee, you work directly with the licensee.

By the employee

Where necessary, household service providers can seek payment directly from the employee receiving the service. The employee can then seek reimbursement from the claims manager.

For more information, see Reimbursement - Receipts.

More information

For more information:

Page last reviewed: 31 May 2024

GPO Box 9905, Canberra, ACT 2601
1300 366 979 |

Date printed 18 Jul 2024