Benefits of safe and healthy work
There is strong evidence that participating in good work is good for mental and physical health and wellbeing.
Getting work health and safety right can deliver many benefits to people and to organisations. This includes:
- improved health and wellbeing
- greater productivity
- higher performance
- increased job satisfaction
- greater work participation and increased social inclusion
- increased individual, team and organisational resilience
- lower absenteeism rates
- less workplace injury and workers’ compensation claims
- faster return to work
- lower workers’ compensation premiums.
As a signatory to the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (RACP) Consensus Statement on the Health Benefits of Good Work, Comcare recognises that generally:
- work is good for health and wellbeing
- long-term absence, disability and unemployment can have a negative impact on health and wellbeing.
Ways to create safe and healthy work
Intervene early and know the warning signs
Providing early support to injured or ill employees to enable their recovery and return to work is critical.
The earlier you notice an employee is experiencing potential signs of ill health or injury, the sooner you can intervene and take steps to help them.
The longer someone is off work, the less likely they are to return to work (PDF, 591.2 KB).
Consider good work design when you plan
One of the best ways to prevent and control workplace injuries is to adopt good work design principles and minimise hazards early in the idea planning phases.
Support a workplace health and safety management system
We know that creating the right work environment and managing potential sources of harm, such as high work demands, low levels of control and poor support, can benefit everyone at work.
A workplace health and safety management system can minimise the risk of injury and illness from workplace operations. It is one of the most effective ways to make sure health and safety is embedded across your organisation and is a part of everything you do.
For more information, see support a workplace health and safety management system.
- Working together: Promoting mental health and wellbeing at work (PDF, 13.8 MB)
- Effective Health and Wellbeing Programs report
(PDF, 3.8 MB)
- Principles of Good Work Design – Safe Work Australia outlines ways to help protect employees from harm, improve wellbeing and improve business success
- Return to work factsheet (PDF, 591.2 KB).