Access to our Brisbane, Canberra and Melbourne offices is currently restricted. To visit us at these locations, call 1300 366 979 to arrange an appointment.

Construction induction training card

For: Employers and managers Information seekers

Workers must have a valid construction induction training card before they can carry out construction work, under the Work Health and Safety Regulations 2011.

About construction induction training

General construction induction training provides basic knowledge of:

  • construction work
  • the work health and safety laws that apply
  • common hazards likely to be encountered in construction work
  • how the associated risks can be controlled.

The nationally recognised unit of competency for general construction induction training is CPCCOHS1001A – Work safely in the construction industry. Training must be provided by a registered training organisation.


Upon successfully completing general construction induction training, you are eligible to apply for a general construction induction training card, commonly known as a white card within the industry.

If you hold a valid state or territory issued construction induction training card, you are not required to apply to Comcare for a Commonwealth Construction Induction Training Card. This is because the Australian Government recognises valid construction induction training cards issued by all state and territory authorities.

If you are working outside of the Commonwealth, you need to approach the relevant state or territory licensing authority.

How to apply

To apply, submit the Commonwealth Construction Induction Training Card (New or Replacement) application form (PDF, 339.7 KB).

Applications must be made within 60 days of the training certification being issued, or at any time if the applicant holds a written declaration issued by the registered training organisation who delivered the training.

After applying to Comcare for a Commonwealth Construction Induction Training Card and until Comcare makes a formal decision on your application, you may undertake construction work using the training certificate or statement of attainment issued to you upon completing the general construction induction training.

Page last reviewed: 25 November 2022

GPO Box 9905, Canberra, ACT 2601
1300 366 979 |

Date printed 18 Jul 2024