Role of rehabilitation providers
Workplace rehabilitation providers and the consultants who work for them play a vital role in the return to work process of an employee with a work-related injury or illness.
A workplace rehabilitation provider is engaged by the employer to provide expert services when additional assistance to support an employee's recovery and return to work is needed.
The services of a workplace rehabilitation provider are used to identify and address any risk factors which may impact a successful return to work, to translate functional gains into meaningful work, and provide evidenced-based advice on the best pathway to recovery and return to work.
Rehabilitation providers engage consultants to deliver rehabilitation services. Consultants must have appropriate qualifications, experience and expertise to work in the Comcare scheme.
Types of services
Workplace rehabilitation providers are organisations accredited to deliver workplace rehabilitation services to help employees recover and return to work.
Prescribed workplace rehabilitation services include:
- initial workplace rehabilitation assessment
- assessment of the functional capacity of an employee
- workplace assessment
- creating and monitoring a rehabilitation or return to work plan
- creating suitable duties plans
- job analysis
- advice about job modification
- rehabilitation counselling
- vocational assessment
- advice or assistance in job seeking
- advice or assistance in arranging vocational re-education or retraining.
Workplace rehabilitation providers also take part in case conferences.
Approval to deliver services
To deliver rehabilitation services in the Comcare scheme, workplace rehabilitation providers must:
- be approved by Comcare
- get a referral from the rehabilitation case manager before providing the service.
Our directory helps employers find Comcare-approved providers in their state or territory.
Comcare recognises consultants from the following professions:
- rehabilitation counsellor
- occupational therapist
- exercise physiologist
- medical practitioner
- speech pathologist
- social worker.
We welcome your feedback on workplace rehabilitation providers. To provide feedback or raise a concern about your workplace rehabilitation provider, email Comcare at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 1300 366 979