Join us as a Comcare Graduate and make a difference by contributing to the health and safety of workers across Australia and helping us to create healthy workplaces.
Comcare’s 2024 national graduate program has closed.
For any queries about the Comcare graduate program, please email email@example.com.
Kick start your career as a graduate
Over the course of 12 months, we provide you with structured learning and development and an attractive remuneration package in a rewarding and supportive workplace.
We are seeking enthusiastic graduates with an innovative and growth mindset from a range of educational disciplines with an interest in:
- Human resources
- Information Technology
- Regulation and work, health and safety
We invest in our people to develop future leaders and offer you both a challenging and rewarding career.
Our graduate program explained
Our graduate program is a specialised 12-month program that starts in early February and offers two work rotation placements.
The objective of placements is to allow graduates to experience Comcare's business through on-the-job learning in different work areas. The placements are based on a graduate’s skills and abilities as well as the requirements of the business.
Learning and development
We are committed to providing a comprehensive training and development program including work rotation placements, technical and corporate training as well as on-the-job experiences.
Graduates attend workshops, seminars, debates and training in a variety of areas which can include:
- stakeholder engagement and communication
- dealing with change
- administrative decision making and APS Values
- briefing and responding to decision makers
- leadership development and leading self
- project management
- risk management
- progressing your APS career Presentation skills
- working in teams
- developing policy and policy simulation
- change and resilience
- cultural awareness
- financial management.
Business areas may also provide you with further learning and development opportunities specific to your work area.
We provide our graduates with support networks during the program. These include:
Graduates are allocated a buddy - a former graduate or a team member - who is a friendly face during the first few months and is on hand to ask those 'settling in' questions.
Our Graduate Coordinator provides graduates with ongoing advice and support on aspects of the graduate program, including orientation, rotational placements, work performance, learning and development and in-house training activities.
As a graduate, you report to a direct supervisor.
Social Network of Graduates membership
Graduates are also provided with membership to the Social Network of Graduates (SNoG). The network is a collective group of graduates from all APS agencies and provides opportunities to meet and network with other graduates and participate in activities such as a ski trip, trivia competitions and a ball.
What we look for
In addition to your academic qualifications, Comcare will be looking for Graduates that are:
- outcomes focused
- responsive to changing needs
- honest and truthful in their interactions with others
- effective communicators
- critical thinkers
To be eligible for our graduate program you must:
- be an Australian citizen
- have completed at least an Australian Qualifications Framework Level 7 qualification (a Bachelor degree), or higher equivalent by 31 December 2023
- have completed your most recent eligible qualification between 1 January 2019 to 31 December 2023
- located or to be able to relocate to Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane or Darwin based on the location of the position offered
If your degree is from an overseas university, the Department of Education must recognise the qualification. You must present documentation to validate recognition of your overseas qualification along with your application to be considered.
We encourage applications from people with diverse experiences and backgrounds, and welcome applications from:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- people with a disability
- people from a culturally and linguistically diverse background
- mature-age people.
Why work with us
We provide you with opportunities to broaden your skills and gain experience across business areas.
We offer many benefits including:
- a structured 12-month development program
- rewarding and meaningful work – you will be contributing to Comcare’s purpose to enable safe and healthy workplaces across Australia
- career pathways – that support you to build a career within Comcare
- generous remuneration and leave entitlements
- flexible working arrangements that allow you to work from home for 40-60% of the week.
- opportunity to be part of a workplace that genuinely values diversity, equity and inclusion
- on-the-job mentoring and coaching
- continuous learning and development including cohort-based social learning
- access to employee wellness programs
- rewards and recognition for your outstanding contributions
- support networks including a buddy, graduate coordinator, dedicated supervisor and networking opportunities with the wider APS
- opportunity to be part of a development and growth mindset focussed workplace culture
- perks of a smaller organisation - closer-knit and collaborative working culture
- support for further study through studies assistance upon successful completion of the graduate program
- Christmas shut-down period
- access to relocation assistance if required.
As an employer, we are committed to delivering on our Employee Value Propositions.
If you are offered a graduate position
Candidates who are offered a position are subject to a police check and a medical assessment, which are standard conditions of employment at Comcare.
Graduates begin at APS Level 4.
There is a 12-month probationary period and graduates will progress to an APS5 classification subject to:
- satisfactory completion of the graduate program, probation, and performance requirements
- availability and affordability of a suitable role at the APS5 level, and
- the graduate having the relevant role qualifications and skills and abilities in line with the APS5 work level standards.
Hear from other Comcare graduates
Samantha - Bachelor of Psychology (Honours)
"Working at Comcare, I know I am doing important work to support the health and wellbeing of the community."
Evelin - Bachelor of Law/ Bachelor of Psychological Science
"I had autonomy over my workload and was given the opportunity to work on a myriad of tasks such as producing a framework for the CEO and being involved in the re-drafting of the Permanent Impairment Guide."
Joseph - Bachelor of Business
"Joining the Comcare Graduate Program has been a very rewarding and educational experience. I have developed skills that I will be able to use throughout the duration of my career, no matter where that takes me. The fact that I joined in the year of COVID-19 was particularly interesting. So don’t be shy and embrace every new experience that comes your way."
Heidi - Bachelor of Health Science (Human Nutrition)
“Since starting my graduate year, I have experienced lots of new and exciting opportunities that without this program I may have never been exposed to. I thoroughly enjoyed my graduate year; it exceeded all my expectations!”