Join us as a Comcare Graduate and make a difference by contributing to the health and safety of workers across Australia and helping us to create healthy workplaces.
How to apply
Applications for the Legal stream and the Generalist stream are now closed.
Applications for the Data stream and the Digital stream have now closed.
For any queries about the Comcare graduate program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kick start your career as a graduate
As a graduate, we provide you with training, development and an attractive remuneration package in a rewarding and supportive workplace.
We are seeking innovative, passionate, energetic and enthusiastic graduates for two graduate program streams.
The Legal stream is a specialised 12-month development program for graduates with a legal qualification and an interest in:
- corporate and commercial law
- administrative law
- contract law
- public/ government law
- criminal law.
The Generalist stream is a specialised 12-month development program for graduates from a range of educational disciplines with an interest in:
- accounting and procurement
- data, analysis, and innovation
- digital and information technology
- human resources
- policy, program or project management
- research and health sciences
- work health and safety.
We invest in our people to develop future leaders and offer you both a challenging and rewarding career.
Our graduate program explained
Our graduate program is a specialised 12-month program that starts in early February and offers at least two work rotation placements.
The objective of placements is to allow graduates to experience Comcare's business through on-the-job learning in different work areas. The placements are based on a graduate’s skills and abilities as well as the requirements of the business.
Learning and development
We are committed to providing a comprehensive training and development program including work rotation placements, technical and corporate training as well as on-the-job experiences.
Graduates attend workshops, seminars, debates and training in a variety of areas which can include:
- stakeholder engagement and communication
- dealing with change
- administrative decision making and APS Values
- briefing and responding to decision makers
- leadership development and leading self
- project management
- risk management
- progressing your APS career Presentation skills
- working in teams
- developing policy and policy simulation
- change and resilience
- cultural awareness
- financial management.
Business areas may also provide you with further learning and development opportunities specific to your work area.
Graduates are involved in other activities including a 'corporate project'. Working collaboratively to address a current strategic challenge facing Comcare, graduates research the issues, develop recommendations and provide a written report and presentation to the CEO and members of the Executive.
We provide our graduates with support networks during the program. These include:
Graduates are allocated a buddy - a former graduate - who is a friendly face during the first few months and is on hand to ask those 'settling in' questions.
Our Graduate Coordinator provides graduates with ongoing advice and support on aspects of the graduate program, including orientation, rotational placements, work performance, learning and development and in-house training activities.
As a graduate, you report to a direct supervisor.
Social Network of Graduates membership
Graduates are also provided with membership to the Social Network of Graduates (SNoG). The network is a collective group of graduates from all APS agencies and provides opportunities to meet and network with other graduates and participate in activities such as a ski trip, trivia competitions and a ball.
What we look for
In addition to your academic qualifications, Comcare will be looking for Graduates that are:
- outcomes focused
- responsive to changing needs
- honest and truthful in their interactions with others
- capable of delivering high quality performance
To be eligible for our graduate program you must:
- be an Australian citizen
- have completed at least an Australian Qualifications Framework Level 7 qualification (a Bachelor degree), or higher equivalent by 31 December 2022
- have completed your most recent eligible qualification between 1 January 2018 to 31 December 2022
- be able to relocate to Canberra.
We encourage applications from people with diverse experiences and backgrounds, and welcome applications from:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- people with a disability
- people from a culturally and linguistically diverse background
- mature-age people.
Why work with us
We provide you with opportunities to broaden your skills and gain experience across business areas.
Graduates begin at the APS Level 4.
We offer many benefits including:
- a structured 12 month development program
- career pathways – that support you to build a career within Comcare
- generous remuneration and leave entitlements
- flexible working arrangements that allow you to work from home for 40-60% of the week.
- employee wellness programs
- performance Development Planning
- christmas shut-down period
- rewards and recognition
- commitment to a diverse and inclusive workplace
- buddy program
- support for further study through studies assistance on successful completion of the graduate program.
- access to relocation assistance if required.
As an employer, we are committed to delivering on our Employee Value Propositions.
If you are offered a graduate position
Candidates who are offered a position are subject to a police check and a medical assessment, which are standard conditions of employment at Comcare.
There is a 12-month probationary period and graduates are required to successfully complete the requirements of the program. After this, graduates are engaged as ongoing permanent employees.
Upon completing the program, graduates may apply for a higher APS level position through the regular open competitive merit application process.
Hear from other Comcare graduates
Samantha - Bachelor of Psychology (Honours)
"Working at Comcare, I know I am doing important work to support the health and wellbeing of the community."
Evelin - Bachelor of Law/ Bachelor of Psychological Science
"I had autonomy over my workload and was given the opportunity to work on a myriad of tasks such as producing a framework for the CEO and being involved in the re-drafting of the Permanent Impairment Guide."
Joseph - Bachelor of Business
"Joining the Comcare Graduate Program has been a very rewarding and educational experience. I have developed skills that I will be able to use throughout the duration of my career, no matter where that takes me. The fact that I joined in the year of COVID-19 was particularly interesting. So don’t be shy and embrace every new experience that comes your way."
Heidi - Bachelor of Health Science (Human Nutrition)
“Since starting my graduate year, I have experienced lots of new and exciting opportunities that without this program I may have never been exposed to. I thoroughly enjoyed my graduate year; it exceeded all my expectations!”